There are a few common causes for connection errors, such as error 1009, encountered by Bitdefender VPN:
• You are not connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable and can’t access the Internet. Please make sure you have access to the internet before using Bitdefender VPN.
• A strictly configured firewall is preventing VPN connectivity (e.g. 3rd party firewall software, router’s built-in firewall). If you are not sure if your router comes with dedicated firewall or how to turn it off please refer to its manual, contact the manufacturer or your ISP.
• Another VPN/Proxy is running when you try to connect. In this case, please disable the other VPN/Proxy solution.
• You are trying to connect from work, school or public Wi-Fi. You need to contact the network administrator to try and change their firewall settings.
IMPORTANT: Depending on the device you’re currently using, the following ports have to be open:
• For Windows: 1194 UDP
• For Mac: 500 UDP and 4500 UDP
If the steps above don’t work, try these troubleshooting procedures:
1. Restart the device
2. Connect to a different network (e.g. if you were connected to Wi-Fi, try connecting to your Ethernet cable or another Wi-Fi)
3. Reinstall Bitdefender VPN:
• Uninstall Bitdefender VPN using the instructions provided here.
• Bring up the Bitdefender interface, then access Privacy in the left menu
• Click the VPN panel and choose INSTALL BITDEFENDER VPN
4. Change the DNS
• Go to the Proprieties window corresponding to your adapter by choosing one of the following methods:
• Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > double-click your active adapter (network) > Properties
• Click on the Windows button in the lower left corner > type ncpa.cpl > double-click your active adapter (network) > Properties
• Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) in the connection items list, then press Properties
• Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the following addresses:
Preferred DNS server: 22.214.171.124
Alternate DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Click OK to confirm the change, then restart your PC.